Onion and cheese muffins
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 to 30 minutes
Makes: 12 muffins
Storage: Covered in the pantry (or fridge on hot days). Double wrap in plastic to freeze.
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 cup wholemeal plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small onion, coarsely grated or finely chopped
- 1 cup reduced-fat grated cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup skimmed milk
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced)
- Mix together the flours, baking powder, pepper, grated onion and grated cheese
- Beat eggs and milk together and, if necessary, add more milk to make 1½ cups of liquid
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, add the liquid and mix gently until just combined (do not over-mix or the muffins will be tough)
- Place in large lightly greased muffin tins and bake for 20 to 30 minutes.
Tip - Using muffin papers to help keep them fresh.